- Shut windows and pull down the shades when it is hotter outside. You can open the windows for ventilation when it is cooler.
- Stay out of the sun and don't go out between 11:00 and 15:00 (the hottest part of the day) if you're vulnerable to the effects of heat.
- Have cool baths or showers, and splash yourself with cool water.
- Drink cold drinks regularly, such as water and diluted fruit juice. Avoid excess alcohol, caffeine (tea, coffee and cola) or drinks high in sugar.
- Wear loose, cool clothing, and a hat and sunglasses if you go outdoors.
- Check up on friends, relatives and neighbours who may be less able to look after themselves.
First published 21st June 2017. Updated 4th July 2018.